Sunday, January 24, 2010

Superwoman

Parenting is truly the hardest job on the planet. It can make you feel like Superwoman one minute and a total loser the next.

I am not the perfect parent. You know how the saying goes...I was a perfect parent until I had kids. I may not be perfect, but I am consistent. If I say I'm going to do something, I do it. If I say I'm not going to do something, I don't. If I say "If you do that one more time, I'm taking it away" and they do it, I take it away. Right away. No negotiations.

It's the puppy peeing on the carpet analogy.

If you have a puppy and he pees on the carpet do you wait until he pees on the carpet 5 times before you tell the puppy "no", rub his nose in it and throw him outside? No. The first time the puppy pees on the carpet, you tell him "no", rub his nose it in and throw him outside immediately.

Same with parenting. Except I don't rub their nose in the carpet and throw them outside. Usually.

Is it easy? No.

Is it easier now than it would be 10-12 years from now when they don't respect me because I was never consistent when they were young? Yes.

They are my kids. I mother them the best way I know how. And although I am not perfect, they are shown more love in one day than some kids are shown in a lifetime.

And that makes me feel like Superwoman.


No comments:

Post a Comment