Wednesday, July 15, 2009

No permanent damage...at least we don't think so.

No, don't worry - it didn't happen again! It's actually been 1 year exactly since Peanut has his massive head wound. For those of you who may not know or remember, here is what happened:We had just gotten to Buffalo Wild Wings and we had all ordered water. Peanut had to go to the bathroom as he always does 4 seconds into getting to a new place. I took him and on our way back to the table, he took off running (as usual) and he tripped a few feet before the booth. His head rammed right into the side of the wood booth. I grabbed him off the floor and instantly it started to swell. We asked for ice which I think helped some. But he was freaking out (and so was I) so we decided to leave.

I have never in my life seen anything like that and I hope that I never do again.

Trophy Hub and I were driving separately (I think I had met them after work) and I knew enough that I needed to keep him awake on the way home. For some reason, that night neither one of us felt like we needed to take him to the ER. I offered to take him to McDonald's and not only did he take me up on it - he ate! We are not doctors, but we pretty much ruled out a concussion.

The following morning, I did start to worry just because it looked so bad so I made a doctor's appointment. The doctor didn't seem to think that there was anything to worry about - as long as he didn't fall and hurt it again. The fact that the swelling was going outward was a good sign because that meant it wasn't going inward. Makes sense, right?

The next few weeks were like a freak show. People were staring at us everywhere we went. Some people were bold and would ask what happened. Others would just stare. Others would make comments once they thought they were out of ear shot...some out of shock & concern and others were hurtful. And for the first time, I felt what it must be like to have a child who is handicapped or with a physical abnormality. The pain those parents and children must endure on a daily basis is unimaginable.
So, one year later, the only scar remaining is a small dimple (dent) in his forehead. You can see it here:
He calls the dent "the sweetest spot". I have no idea where he came up with it, but I was kissin' on him one morning before work and when I walked away he told me I missed the sweetest spot. I asked him where it was and he pointed to his dent.

I haven't missed the sweetest spot since then.

1 comment:

  1. OUCH....it still hurts just to look at it!!!!
    MIL

    ReplyDelete