Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Where's my sign?

Is there a sign on me somewhere that says "Tell me your life story! Especially if you work at Wal-Mart!" There must be. That would be the only explanation for the torment that I'm forced to endure everytime I enter that place. I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't want to hear all about your life. I just want my toilet paper.

Since I haven't found where this sign is hidden and I always get the life story, I use the self checkout to avoid this unless I have a cartful of goodies. I'm fairly good at the self checkout - yes, it is a skill that is learned and practiced - so it goes quickly when I only have a few items.

Today was no exception. I started placing my items in my reusable bag and the thing starts jabbering at me about "unexpected item in the bagging area". I assume this is just because of the weight of my bag. No big deal - it eventually stops jabbering and lets me continue to scan. Before I know it, the cashier overseeing the self checkouts is majorly invading my personal space. I talk to her, but don't look at her because I'm pretty sure we would have been touching noses if I had turned to face her. She proceeds to tell me everything that I never wanted to hear in the first place and I just smile and say "yeah" and "wow" a lot. I finish scanning and then show her my receipt for my "Site to Store" purchase (cloth training pants if you must know) because I had already paid for them online. She then proceeds to tell me that she has a very abnormal bra size because she's really big around but has very small boobs, but the W said they would special order bras for her. Excuse me?

Someone please tell me where this sign is, because I need to remove it. Immediately.

4 comments:

  1. Baaa haaa!! THat's so funny! If you find your sign, let me know. I think I have one embedded in the same place on myself. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it's not just me!! We must just give us warm fuzzy vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. J ~ I know for a fact that I have encountered this same employee at Wal-Mart..... or maybe it's true for a lot of their employees, affected by an epidemic associated with wearing a blue vest with lots of gaudy buttons!! I don't know, but either way, I am totally with you on this one. Why in the world do people who work at large retail chains assume that you want to hear about things and people that you CLEARLY do not know yourself (and really care nothing about)? I have been, on more than one occasion, tempted to say, "Listen Lady, I hear about people's problems all day long, and I am off the clock now, so would you please excuse me if I don't really care that your kid is spending the weekend with your ex and his new Baby Mama and you're not happy about it?" :) Rant over.

    Love ~ E

    ReplyDelete
  4. E - I'm seriously so glad that other people are inflicted with this. Have you seen the lady that works at the W with the pony tail on the top of her head? She's off the hook too.

    ReplyDelete